If you want to experience the thrill of hunting game at night, you need either a night vision or thermal scope. Either way, you should be prepared to pay out a pretty penny for the ability to see your target in the darkness.
Think about it - you’re buying a technology that allows you to see your target from hundreds of meters out with pinpoint accuracy. It should go without saying that this technology isn’t cheap.
But - how much does a night vision scope cost, exactly? And is there any way to find a low-cost night vision scope without sacrificing quality?
In this article, we’ll address these two questions and many others you may have about the price of these scopes. Then, we’ll introduce you to a few of the more affordable scopes that are actually worth buying - right here at Texas Fowlers.
First, let’s highlight a few of the key factors affecting the cost of a night vision rifle scope so you know what goes into the price point.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Night Vision Rifle Scopes
As with anything, there is a range of price points you can shop from when searching for the best night vision scope for the money. But - what separates these different price points from each other? The truth is, there are distinct differences between a scope that costs $500 and a scope that costs $5,000. Below, we’ll highlight the specific factors affecting the cost of night vision scopes:
- Generation: The generation of the night vision technology used in the scope can greatly affect its cost. The higher the generation, the more advanced and expensive the technology, and therefore the more expensive the scope. You can save money by going with a previous generation, but you’re selling yourself short in terms of the hunting experience you get.
- Magnification: The magnification of the scope is another factor that can affect its cost. Higher magnification lenses require more precise manufacturing and can be more expensive to produce. But, this allows you to enlarge your target and see more detail from further out.
- Brand: The brand of the night vision scope can also impact its price. Some brands are known for their high-quality optics and advanced features and therefore command a higher price. This means that sometimes, you’re paying more without any additional value.
- Range: The effective range of the scope can also play a role in its cost. Scopes with longer ranges require more advanced optics and technologies, which can increase their price. However, this adds to the versatility of your scope, allowing you to hunt game from further away without a drop in accuracy.
- Features: Night vision scopes may come with various features, such as built-in infrared illuminators, reticle options, and video recording capabilities. These additional features can increase the cost of the scope.
- Availability: The supply and demand of a particular night vision scope can also impact its price. Limited availability or high demand can drive up the cost of the scope. This has become more of a problem than ever with the COVID-19 pandemic putting a strain on supply chains in just about all industries.
So, How Much Does a Night Vision Scope Cost on Average?
So with all that said, how much does a night vision scope cost on average? Obviously, your price point will be influenced by the factors above. This creates quite the range in terms of price points.
The Low End: $200-$300
At the lower end of the price range, you can find entry-level night vision scopes that may cost around $200 to $300. These scopes typically use lower generation night vision technology, have lower magnification, and fewer features. They may be suitable for basic surveillance or hunting activities but may not provide the best image quality.
The High End: $5,000-$6,000+
At the higher end of the price range, you can find premium night vision scopes that can cost upwards of $5,000 or more. In fact, we have scopes that cost as much as $6,000 at Texas Fowlers!
These scopes may use advanced technologies such as higher-generation night vision technology, high magnification, and have additional features such as built-in range finders, image stabilization, and advanced reticle options. These scopes are typically used by professionals, such as military and law enforcement personnel, and serious hunters or shooters.
The Middle Ground for Most Hunters: $1,000-$2,500
But, for most hunters, the middle ground for night vision scope prices is around $1,000 to $2,500. In this price range, you can find night vision scopes that offer a good balance of performance and price.
These scopes typically have moderate to high magnification, good image quality, and useful features such as built-in infrared illuminators, adjustable reticles, and durable construction. This range of scopes is suitable for a wide range of activities, including hunting, surveillance, and general observation.
Why Buying a Cheaper Night Vision Rifle Scopes is a Bad Idea
After discovering the average cost of a night vision rifle scope is four figures, you may be tempted to skimp on quality and go with a cheaper night vision scope. After all, these still work just fine…you’re just going to miss out on some of the key features and sacrifice a bit of capability, right?
Ultimately, we recommend that most hunters wait until they can afford a quality night-vision scope before purchasing one rather than trying to make do with a cheap one. Here’s why…
You’re going to end up spending a lot of time and effort getting ready for your night hunt, learning how to sight in a thermal scope, and sitting out in the dark all night. All of this, only to be disappointed when you miss your best shot of the evening because your scope doesn’t cut it.
The truth is, most of these lower-end scopes in the $200-300 range aren’t even worth it. The bare minimum we recommend you spend on a scope is $500-$750.
Is There Any Way to Find a Low-Cost Night Vision Scope Without Sacrificing Quality?
Now - is there any way for you to get your hands on a low-cost night vision scope without sacrificing quality? Your best bet is to stay up to date on deals and new emerging technologies.
You can often save a few hundred dollars by waiting for Black Friday or some other holiday where scopes go on sale. This can be the difference between being able to afford and justify the expense or not.
Or, you can watch for brands to release new and emerging night vision scope generations and technologies. When this happens, the previous generation goes on sale. You won’t be getting the latest and greatest, but oftentimes previous generations still get the job done. It all comes down to what your goals are.
Finally, you can shop at Texas Fowlers, where we have high-quality night vision rifle scopes for sale at unbeatable prices. We’ve worked hard to create valuable relationships with our vendors so that we can offer you the best prices possible across our full catalog. While you may spend $1,000 at another retailer, it’s possible you can save a few hundred bucks by choosing to shop with us instead.
A Few Low-Cost Night Vision Scopes We Endorse
Before we bring our conversation to a close, we’re going to share a few low-cost night vision scopes we endorse. Each of these is available in our catalog at Texas Fowlers and while the price is low, the quality is high:
- KONUS NIGHT VISION MONOCULAR: It’s not a scope, but this device will at least help you find and identify targets at night - and for a fraction of what most night vision rifle scopes cost!
- ATN X-SIGHT LTV DAY NIGHT HUNTING RIFLE SCOPE: This is the cheapest night vision scope that we actually would recommend - at just $640, you still get vivid and crisp clarity during the day with amazing night time performance. This is a versatile choice for any beginner hunter.
- SIGHTMARK WRAITH 4K MINI 2X DIGITAL NIGHT VISION RIFLESCOPE: At $800, this is a step up from the previous scope - and with it comes the ability to detect objects up to 300 yards away on even the darkest of nights. It’s lightweight, compact, and an excellent low-cost night vision scope.
- ATN THOR-LT THERMAL RIFLE SCOPE: While the $1,100 price tag may deter some hunters seeking a low cost night vision scope, this thermal imaging scope is an incredible selection for the money. It offers unprecedented versatility in how you mount it and weighs just 1.4lbs. Sighting the scope is effortless, too, perfect for beginners.
Wrapping Up Our Discussion on How Much is a Night Vision Scope
So, how much does a night vision scope cost? At this point, you should feel more clear on not just the average price of these types of hunting scopes - but the factors affecting them. While you can certainly find scopes in the $300-$500 range, they’ll leave you disappointed. That doesn’t mean you need a $5,000 scope (although you will be blown away at the level of hunting these unlock for you). You can find quality night vision scopes for as little as $750.
And whether you want a thermal scope vs night vision scope, one thing is for sure - you can find the perfect pick at Texas Fowlers.
We also have all the other waterfowl or big game hunting gear you need to stay safe and comfortable while enjoying a successful hunt. That includes waterfowl jackets, big and tall waders, duck hunting vests, duck hunting pants, waterfowl gloves, and everything else you need to stay warm, dry, and camouflaged. Whether you’re hunting in the rain or dry conditions, in the middle of the day, or the dead of the night, we have everything you need to make the most of your time outdoors.